[Eril-l] How do you handle faculty requests for text/data mining services?

Mary Aagard MaryAagard at boisestate.edu
Fri Oct 8 10:05:36 PDT 2021

Hi all,

We are getting more requests for text/data mining in library databases from
faculty and researchers. Some databases allow for it (or a certain amount
of it) as part of our license and other databases offer it for an
additional fee.

Because most of these requests are for one researcher's work, and the data
mining is specialized to that person's needs, how is your library involved
in these conversations/arrangements?

I've been searching through library libguides about your text/data mining
arrangements and I've seen models where the library facilitates the entire
process and others where the library provides the contact information to
the researcher and it is their responsibility to figure it out.

I would love to hear responses on how your library is handling requests for
these kinds of services. How much is the library involved?

I ask because as we get these requests, we already alert the researcher
that they (or their department) will need to pay for the service if there
is an additional fee, but we are also considering creating a "chargeback"
fee to asses to the researcher if they want the library to facilitate the
licensing, invoicing, etc.

Thanks for any responses you have to offer -- Mary

--

MARY AAGARD (she/her/hers)
*Head, Acquisitions & Collections and Associate Professor **Albertsons

Phone: (208) 426-4025 Email: maryaagard at boisestate.edu
Mail: 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID 83725-1430 *Location: *1865 Cesar
Chavez Lane, Boise, ID Web: l <https://library.boisestate.edu/>
ibrary.boisestate.edu  | My Research
<https://works.bepress.com/mary_aagard/>

Make a gift to Boise State today!