[Eril-l] Call for Participation: survey on leadership style and librarian burnout in academic libraries

Susanne Markgren smarkgren01 at manhattan.edu
Wed Mar 10 07:27:03 PST 2021

[please excuse cross-postings]

Dear Colleagues,

Are you an academic librarian who has experienced or witnessed burnout
(whether pre-pandemic or current)? Do you share our interest in the ways
that organizational culture and leadership style may impact individuals’
experiences of work and workplace?

If so, we’d like to learn from you! We are compiling brief narratives about
librarians’ experiences with fatigue/exhaustion, hopelessness, frustration,
and/or a lack of work-life balance. We are particularly interested in the
ways organizational cultures and structures can be built, influenced, and
shifted to positive effect in burnout situations; the varied leadership
behaviors in play; specific strategies; and lessons learned. These
narratives may become part of a chapter, tentatively titled “Combating
Burnout: Positive/Transformational Leadership and Organizational Culture,”
in a book about academic librarian burnout, to be published by ACRL Press.

   -

   Your participation will involve approximately 5-10 minutes of your time
   filling out an anonymous web survey.
   -

   While there are no known risks to completing the survey, you are allowed
   to skip questions that make you uncomfortable.
   -

   Participation in this survey will not benefit you directly, but may
   benefit others by providing useful information for professionals who are
   dealing with academic librarian burnout and/or a lack of positive
   leadership or non-supportive workplace culture.
   -

   Participation in this survey is completely voluntary. Your participation
   is anonymous and you may withdraw from the survey for any reason, and at
   any time without penalty.

To participate, please fill out this brief survey
<https://forms.gle/yt64PA4BDmffbQhi7>.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please email us:

   -

   Linda Miles, Hostos Community College/CUNY - lmiles at hostos.cuny.edu
   -

   Susanne Markgren, Manhattan College - susanne.markgren at manhattan.edu

*Susanne Markgren, MLIS, MFA*
*Assistant Director of the Library for Technical Services*

Manhattan College, O'Malley Library
Technical Services, Rm 308
4513 Manhattan College Parkway
Riverdale, NY 10471