[Eril-l] NISO Recommended Practice for Content Platform Migrations Now Open For Public Comment

NISO Announce niso-announce at niso.org
Wed Mar 10 06:19:38 PST 2021

*Baltimore, March 10, 2021:* The National Information Standards
Organization (NISO) today made its new draft Recommended Practice for
Content Platform Migrations available for public comment. The result of
nearly two years of collaboration between the librarians, publishers, and
content platform providers on the Content Platform Migrations Working Group
<http://www.niso.org/standards-committees/content-platform-migrations>,
this Recommended Practice provides a standard process and recommendations
to improve communication between all parties involved before, during, and
after migration.

Well-planned platform migrations, including good communications with
customers, ensure that the content is delivered on the new platform with no
broken links, no loss of functionality, no interruption in access, and no
loss of customer information. Streamlining the process will result in a
smoother overall transition for everyone’s benefit.

“Content platforms, whether developed by publishers themselves, or licensed
from third parties, are widely used to provide libraries and their patrons
with access to scholarly content,” said Working Group Co-Chair Athena
Hoeppner of the University of Central Florida. “Ensuring that migrations
between platforms is as smooth as possible benefits everyone, so we are
pleased to share our recommendations with the wider community for their
feedback and input.”

“We are grateful to all Working Group members for their efforts in
developing this Recommended Practice,” added Kim Steinle of Duke University
Press. “Unfortunately, a problem-free migration is often the exception
rather than the norm but, by implementing our recommendations, platform
providers, publishers, and libraries will be able to change that situation
for the better.”

“Our thanks to Athena, Kim, and everyone in the Content Migrations Working
Group for their hard work and dedication in drafting these
recommendations,” said Nettie Lagace, NISO’s Associate Executive Director.
“We look forward to receiving feedback from the community, which the
Working Group will  evaluate and incorporate, as appropriate, into the
final Recommended Practice.”

Everyone involved in, or with an interest in, improving content platform
migrations is invited to share their feedback on the Content Platform
Migrations Working Group Recommended Practice, which can be found at
http://www.niso.org/standards-committees/content-platform-migrations. It is
open for comment through April 23, 2021.

*About NISO*
Based in Baltimore, MD, NISO fosters the development and maintenance of
standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and
effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in
research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries,
publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support
learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization,
management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting
communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of information
standards. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO
website (https://niso.org) or contact us at nisohq at niso.org.