[Eril-l] Usage Statistics: Possible Software Solution

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:48:45 PDT 2021

We implemented Alma and Primo VE as part of the CARLI consortium about a year ago, and only recently have I delved into loading usage statistics data into Alma. I realize “just migrate to Alma” is not necessarily an option for everyone, but given other responses, I thought it might help to talk about how Alma functions in this area since Alma is so heavily used in the library market and I haven’t seen anyone else talk mention it yet.

My findings:

  *   Alma is leaps and bounds easier and better to work with for SUSHI harvesting than anything I’ve used previously.
  *   SUSHI vendor coverage is extensive.
  *   Uploading usage statistics manually is also leaps and bounds better.
  *   Integration with other key data points including cost is absolutely critical in my view, an integration we never had before, in terms of making centrally loaded usage stats data truly useful. I still haven’t worked out various kinks in terms of how to use that cost data effectively, but that’s more about my learning curve than about anything deficient with Alma’s functionality.
  *   Alma Analytics is a game changer as far as I’m concerned, in that I have a very powerful and fairly easy to use, integrated, statistical reporting tool for the first time, that can present sophisticated reports, graphs, charts, pretty easily. Also not to be overlooked is the fact that just about any report I can think of (IPEDS, ACRL, etc.) has already been done by someone else in the Alma community, and I can easily find and make use of others’ work, not just what comes out of the box, and I can also easily customize them to my institutional needs. I have yet to see a need to define a report from scratch.

So, bottom line is a thumbs up so far for Alma, fwiw.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor and Group Leader for Resource Description and Digital Initiatives
Buswell Library | Wheaton College (IL) | +1 (630) 752-5852