[Eril-l] Duke University Press now offering journal publishing services to nonprofit scholarly publishers

Kimberly Steinle kimberly.steinle at duke.edu
Tue Feb 9 06:04:29 PST 2021

For immediate release
February 9, 2021

For more information, contact:
Allison Belan
Director for Strategic Innovation and Services
allison.belan at duke.edu<mailto:allison.belan at duke.edu>

Duke University Press now offering journal publishing services to nonprofit scholarly publishers

Duke University Press is pleased to partner with nonprofit scholarly journal publishers and societies to
provide journal services including subscription management, fulfillment, hosting, and institutional
marketing and sales in a collaboration called the Scholarly Publishing Collective (SPC).

Beginning in 2021, the SPC will provide subscription management and fulfillment services, in partnership
with Longleaf Services, to Cornell University Press, Texas Tech University Press, and the University of
North Carolina Press. The SPC online content platform will launch in 2022, hosting journals and fulfilling
digital access on behalf of Michigan State University Press, Penn State University Press, the Society of
Biblical Literature, and the University of Illinois Press.

"Finding a powerful hosting platform for our eighty scholarly journals, as well as securing the expert sales
and marketing services of the SPC, will transport our journals to new levels of impact," said Patrick
Alexander, director of Penn State University Press. "We're thrilled about offering enhanced services to our
societies, journal editors, and libraries, and we are eager to work with colleagues at Duke University Press,
one of the most talented teams in university press publishing."

Through the SPC, publishers will have access to resources that would otherwise be cost-prohibitive, such
as a best-in-class web platform, proven customer relations and library relations teams, and a network of
global sales agents with insight into university press content.

"We are honored to be working with this prestigious group of publishers," said Duke University Press
director Dean Smith. "The SPC gives us an opportunity to support a healthy ecosystem for nonprofit,
mission-driven publishing and to help ensure that these publications and organizations remain vital to the
communities they serve."

Duke University Press is a nonprofit scholarly publisher with a focus on the humanities, the social
sciences, and mathematics. The Press publishes approximately 140 books annually and more than 50
journals, as well as offering several electronic collections and open-access publishing initiatives.

###