[Eril-l] hackers, messed up COUNTER data, and ezproxy vs openathens

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Thu Aug 26 09:59:46 PDT 2021

Hi, all.

We've had two more "rounds", for a couple months late last year and then again in May-June of this year, where our COUNTER data for some major journal publishers is worthless because breached-password events caused absurd spikes across every journal in the package (both ft uses and turnaways).  We have self-hosted ezproxy, with a Shibboleth/LDAP server doing the authentication.
Knowing that there's just no way for us to enforce password security so that leaks never happen, I was wondering if anyone could speak to whether it would make any significant difference to this problem if we were to switch from ezproxy to open athens. I know open athens would rely on that same underlying authentication, but I was given the impression that it had additional ways to prevent such hacking, especially if it is coming from overseas (we all know which countries' IPs these incidents originate from).

Could anyone who has switched from ezproxy to open athens and had previously experienced these kinds of problems share with us whether you've seen such breaches that are big enough to impact COUNTER data cease after you switched?

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca<mailto:mbelvadi at upei.ca>  902-566-0581