[Eril-l] Access to Library Databases and LMS for Alumni/Students on Leaves of Absence

Jennifer Shimada jennifer.shimada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 08:01:27 PDT 2021

Hi, colleagues,

We are revisiting our policy around systems access for a subset of our
student-facing systems, including our library databases.

We know that most of our library databases do not allow alumni access, but
wonder if institutions generally shut down access immediately after
graduation, or if there's a delay of a few months to a year.  We're also
wondering about access for students on a leave of absence.

We're also curious about learning management system access, particularly if
professors rely on fair use to upload copyrighted material into their
courses.

Here are our questions:

   - For what length of time, if at all, do students on a leave of absence
   retain access to systems like your LMS and library databases?
   - For what length of time, if at all, do alumni retain access to systems
   like your LMS and library databases?
   - For what length of time, if at all, do withdrawn students (either
   administratively withdrawn or students who withdraw directly) retain access
   to systems like your LMS and library databases?

Many thanks in advance for your consideration!

Best,

Jennifer Shimada
Library Director
Relay Graduate School of Education