[Eril-l] Music Databases inquiry

Heather G. Fisher hgfisher at SVSU.edu
Tue Nov 3 07:46:04 PST 2020

Hi -

I am the music librarian Beth mentions. From the list Beth provided, Naxos, Grove and RILM are considered foundational must haves. If budgets are not necessarily a concern,  Naxos also has various specialty databases that are separate from the flagship Naxos. They cover things like Jazz and World Music. Other great resources are DRAM (Database of Recorded American Music) and the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall.

My vocal students love IPA Source and all my students love Library Music Source!

Heather

From: Beth M. Johns <bmjohns at SVSU.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 10:34 AM
To: Bonnie Thornton <bonnyothornton at gmail.com>; eril-l at lists.eril-l.org; Heather G. Fisher <hgfisher at SVSU.edu>
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] Music Databases inquiry

We have a small program, band and voice only, but I think we find our music databases valuable for different reasons (they all cover something different). We also have the advantage of having a music librarian with advanced degrees.

We subscribe to the following and usage appears to be good:

RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
Met Opera on Demand
IP Source
Library Music Source