[Eril-l] Publishers automatically turning on SSO - is this a good or bad thing?

Loder, Julie L julie.loder at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 27 14:05:53 PDT 2020

I just received a note from a publisher who automatically turned on federated authentication. We use EZ Proxy and for a variety of reasons, have intentionally not enabled this on publisher sites. What are your thoughts on publishers doing this automatically? I am especially frustrated because they emailed with an offer 2 weeks ago and I purposefully did not respond. Then they emailed again recently requiring an opt-out and I opted out. Turns out, they did it anyway. I believe this is more confusing to users when only a few are setup this way and of course, more things for us to troubleshoot and manage. Campus IT handles SSO for us and they really do not need extra work or complaints right now.

Julie

Julie Loder
Director, Library Acquisitions & Eresources
Vanderbilt University
Jean & Alexander Heard Library
110 21st Avenue South
Suite 700 Baker Bldg