[Eril-l] Ebooks for distant students around the world?

Harper, Cynthia charper at vts.edu
Thu Jul 23 09:44:37 PDT 2020

Hello - We have distance-learning doctoral students.  They formerly had a 4-week residency here in Virginia, but this year it is all remote.  It's unclear to me how constrained their cell reception and internet is for the most remote people.  We offer Project Muse ebooks which are no problem as they are portable PDFs.  But we also have a large number of EBSCO or Proquest DRMed resources.  I understand EBSCO is bringing out a new feature in their new phone app that will allow ebook access. I wonder if the design of this will make our EBSCO ebooks more usable for these people - will the app try to check the internet each use?  I'm going to send this question to EBSCO, but I wonder if any of you have any insight on this question.

Cindy Harper
Electronic Services and Periodicals Librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary, Box 159
3737 Seminary Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
charper at vts.edu<mailto:charper at vts.edu>