[Eril-l] what are you doing with IR_A1 reports? thinking about research value?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Jan 24 05:27:43 PST 2020

Hi, all.
With COUNTER COP5 now providing a full year (2019) of data for most major
vendors, I've noticed that a growing number of publishers are choosing the
option (not required) to offer the IR_A1 standard view, which provides
usage at the individual article level.
I'm wondering if any librarians have started to use, or even think about
how to use, this data?

I'm also wondering if anyone is thinking about potential research that
could be done, beyond the institutional level, if many institutions were to
share these reports. I'm thinking ScholComm type analysis, such as trying
to quantify whether some journals have their usage spread more widely
across different articles versus having "superstar" articles among a lot of
more mediocre ones. This would have interesting implications for the value
of journal impact factors in tenure&promotion evaluation, and possibly also
lead to considering whether we should have more options to purchase
articles at an article level rather than volume, for library collections
(rather than just document delivery to a single patron).

Thoughts?

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island