[Eril-l] Investigated but didn’t opt for OpenAthens?

Mark Winek mdw65 at georgetown.edu
Fri Feb 7 12:27:08 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks to those who wrote to me directly with their own experiences.
To share with the list, these are some of the reasons institutions did not
go with OpenAthens, as cited in those responses:

   1. EZproxy is widely used and much cheaper;
   2. Combination of EZproxy and campus SSO provides much of the same
   functionality, minus more granular user data;
   3. Feedback from library faculty that it would add another hurdle for
   users surmount, particularly with a login up front;
   4. Legal contract for OpenAthens indicated servers were outside of the
   US and legal disputes would be handled in the UK;
   5. Concerns over patron privacy;
   6. Loss of access for walk-in users.

If I have misunderstood any of the points made in these responses, I beg
forgiveness from those colleagues.

Best,

Mark Winek
Georgetown University