[Eril-l] FW: Switching from WOS to Scopus

Sally Krash krash at umass.edu
Thu Dec 3 05:52:05 PST 2020

Sending this out to the list, since others are interested.

When I was at Southwest Research Institute, we switched from WoS to Scopus to save money and meet a reduced budget. Turns out, at that time, Scopus was much easier to use than WoS, and at a meeting of our research library council, when we compared the two, Scopus faired much better. The downside was that work for researchers/faculty that had been in their field for more than 20 years was not adequately represented.

Although we saved money, one of the big drawbacks was access to the WoS content that we had paid for over many years. That was provided to us on tape, which we stored because we did not have the means to build an interface to access that data in a way that WoS required.

Lastly, there is a comparable product to JCR rankings, called Scimago Journal & Country Rank (SJR) - https://www.scimagojr.com/.

My personal thoughts on doing this again - I would only go this route for a small library or a library whose main focus is medical, as medical content seems to be well represented. For a medium to large academic research library, I would not.

I hope this is helpful.

Sally Krash
Associate Dean for Content and Discovery
UMass Amherst Libraries
krash at umass.edu<mailto:krash at umass.edu>
https://works.bepress.com/sallykrash/