[Eril-l] ALCTS webinar: How Do We Do That Again? Documenting Library Work

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 03:38:00 PDT 2020

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

ALCTS webinar:  How Do We Do That Again? Documenting Library Work

Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2020

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11 am Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1 pm Central, and 2 pm Eastern time.

documentation for your library’s processes? Have you gotten overwhelmed
trying to figure out where to start, or too busy keeping up with your
day-to-day work to take a step back and document it? Most of us know that
documentation is important to continuity and sustainability of processes in
library work, but it’s a very easy thing to write off as too hard, or to
mentally set aside for a “slow period” that never comes. Lessons from the
field of technical writing can help us prioritize these important tasks.
While most librarians are not trained technical writers, we can incorporate
some tips from technical writers into our work to make our documentation
creation easier.

Learning outcomes:

At the end of this webinar, attendees will be able to:

   -

   Understand the benefits of approaching documentation from a technical
   writing mindset
   -

   Identify the five steps of the technical writing process
   -

   Articulate ways in which the technical writing process is relevant to
   documenting library workflows

Who should attend?

Anyone in charge of writing documentation for processes or workflows.

Presenter:

Emily Nimsakont is the Cataloging and Metadata Trainer at Amigos Library
Services. She has over ten years of experience in cataloging and technical
services, including digital asset management for a corporation, head of
technical services at an academic law library, and cataloger/trainer at the
Nebraska Library Commission. She holds a master’s degree in library science
from University of Missouri-Columbia, a master’s degree in museum studies
from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and a bachelor’s degree in history and
psychology from Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois.

*****************

Registration Fees:  ALCTS Member $43; Non-member $59; Group rate $129

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to
the following website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/090220
<http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/09020>

ALCTS webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording
shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org

For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, please contact
alctsce at ala.org

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.