[Eril-l] ALCTS webinar: Community Archiving Strategies for Oral History

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:05:29 PDT 2020

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

ALCTS webinar: Community Archiving Strategies for Oral History

Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11 am Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1 pm Central, and 2 pm Eastern time.

setting at Queens Public Library, we’ve found that it helps to have events
like story sharing circles to engage and empower communities to participate
in oral history work. Public programs on local history help us identify
good candidates to sit for full (1-2 hour-long) oral history interviews
with our interviewers. We have worked out some tried and true models for
these public programs that I will discuss as a way to engage a community
you’d like to organize an oral history project with. It’s always been
important within the Queens Memory context to not just be focused on
collecting for our archives, but also spend time with community members
helping them build the skills they need to interview the elders in their
lives, preserve the artifacts in their own families, and generally see
themselves as part of history.

Learning outcomes: Following this session, participants will be able to
return to their teams back at home with some exciting, field-tested and
well documented ideas they could implement in their local context. They
will also learn some tips on what didn't work so well for my team that can
save them some time and effort!

Who should attend?

Librarians and archivists working within communities they wish to engage in
community archiving projects.

Presenter:

Natalie Milbrodt leads the Queens Public Library’s Metadata Services
Division, responsible for the library’s oral history and community
archiving program, digitization, and cataloging. She serves on the Oral
History Association’s Metadata Task Force and as an advisory board member
for Global Grand Central, the New York State Archives and Wikitongues.

*****************

Registration Fees:  Free

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to
the following website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042920

ALCTS webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording
shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org

For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, please contact
alctsce at ala.org

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.