[Eril-l] Reccos for Virtual Anatomy resources

McGarvey, Nancy McGarvey.N at gmercyu.edu
Fri Apr 10 11:20:31 PDT 2020

I'm happy to share the suggestions I received to my request for virtual anatomy resources.  The first part are the responses I received for mostly paid resources.  The second part is what I found from culling various libGuides for free resources.  Since we are so close to the end of the fiscal year our coffers are pretty well empty.  In addition we have a new library director starting on June 1st and I think she needs to be part of any discussion/decision on adding a resource that will affect the budget.  So I ended up sending the list of free resources to the instructor and asked her to look them over to see if they'll meet her current needs.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Reccos received:
Gale Interactive: Human Anatomy<https://www.gale.com/c/interactive-human-anatomy>

Have you looked here? There are lots of free virtual lab resources listed…Some titles may be misleading and some are not human anatomy, so you may need to drill into it.
Online Science Laboratories<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18iVSIeOqKjj58xcR8dYJS5rYvzZ4X1UGLWhl3brRzCM/edit#gid=0> - Teaching Remote List of online laboratories maintained by LeighAnn Tomaswick of Kent State University

Have you tried searching https://www.oercommons.org/ for OERs? Looks like a lot of variety there for anatomy resources.

We use Ovid’s Visible Body at UNCW and it has been very well received by students and faculty. It’s a one time purchase too, which is nice if you can swing it.

Our anatomy lab coordinator got a trial of Mastering A&P, a Pearson online resource.

Not sure how the pricing would work out, Nancy, but Gale has an Interactive Anatomy database that might work in this instance.  You can contact a Gale rep to ask about it; here’s a Google link out to it: https://www.gale.com/c/interactive-human-anatomy

Someone at my university just asked for access to Anatomy.tv<https://www.anatomy.tv/>. No idea of the cost.

Here are two possible open resource virtual anatomy labs:
LibreTexts Human Anatomy Lab Manual https://med.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Ancillary_Materials/Laboratories/Human_Anatomy_Lab_Manual
McGill University Physiology Virtual Laboratory http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/physio/vlab/

We added Visible Body last year, and students no longer had to spend upwards of $50k annually on lab manuals.
https://www.visiblebody.com/en-us/

Free sources found:

Atlas of Human Anatomy (https://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/index.shtml)  This one has been around for a while and I think we had a link to it on our early library webpage.
[https://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/images/cover_art.jpg]<https://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/index.shtml>
Anatomy Atlases: Atlas of Human Anatomy - Anatomy | Radiology Anatomy | Anatomy Atlas<https://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/index.shtml>
An atlas of human anatomy. Translated by: Ronald A. Bergman, PhD Professor Emeritus Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology
www.anatomyatlases.org
Innerbody (https://www.innerbody.com/)  Click on the anatomy tab at the top to select body system
<https://www.innerbody.com/>
Innerbody - Research for Your Most Important Health Purchases<https://www.innerbody.com/>
Innerbody is the largest home health and wellness guide online, helping over one million visitors each month learn about health products and services. Our mission is to provide objective, science-based advice to help you make more informed choices.
www.innerbody.com

Zygote Body (https://www.zygotebody.com/)  You can choose adult male or adult female and then choose the system you want from the nav thingy on the left.  Again, several schools have this.
Zygote Body 3D Anatomy Online Visualizer | Human Anatomy 3D<https://www.zygotebody.com/>
Zygote Body is a free online 3D anatomy atlas. View, isolate, and learn human anatomy structures with Zygote Body.
www.zygotebody.com

Lumen: Welcome to the Bone Box (http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/grossanatomy/learnem/bones/main_bone.htm)  Sounds hokey, but it seems to have decent photos--you need to click on the numbered item and look at the top left to see what the item is and I don't think you can enlarge.
The Bone Box!!! - Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine: Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine<http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/grossanatomy/learnem/bones/main_bone.htm>
LUMEN. Welcome to The Bone Box!!!
www.meddean.luc.edu

Muscle Atlas (https://rad.washington.edu/muscle-atlas/
Muscle Atlas Entries Archive - UW Radiology<https://rad.washington.edu/muscle-atlas/>
Muscle Atlas; Online Faculty Lectures; Liver Atlas; Medical Students; Radiology Interest Group; Templeton Radiology Library; Teaching Files Portal; About Us. Academic Sections; Locations; Meet Our Faculty; New Faculty; Radiology Administration; Michael and Rebecca McGoodwin Endowment for Radiology Resident and Fellow Training and Education
rad.washington.edu
Which covers only muscles, no skeletal, living up to its name.

Nancy

********************************

Nancy B. McGarvey

Interim Director/Electronic Resources Librarian
Keiss Library and Learning Commons
Gwynedd Mercy University
1325 Sumneytown Pike
PO Box 901