[Eril-l] cookie authentication on EBSCO EDS/ebooks

Harper, Cynthia charper at vts.edu
Tue Apr 7 06:02:09 PDT 2020

Forgive me for not posting to an EDS-specific listserv (I think Melissa Belvadi, you told me about one on this list some time ago, but I can't lay my digits on that right now).

We've been using the default authentication string on our EBSCO links "ip,cookie,url,uid" up til now. But we use two methods of authenticating, ip.proxy for most, and alumni use uid, so there are times when people are forced to clear their cookies.  After experiencing this during this time of heavy use, I asked myself "why are we using cookies anyway?"  Does anyone know the effect of turning cookie authentication off? Will this force people to reauthenticate every time they switch from an EDS screen to an ehost resource?

Cindy Harper
Electronic Services and Periodicals Librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary, Box 159
3737 Seminary Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
charper at vts.edu<mailto:charper at vts.edu>