[Eril-l] need info about hosting our PDF content with simul user restrictions

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Apr 3 13:30:18 PDT 2020

We have a situation in which we need simultaneous user control on our own
PDFs.
And of course access needs to be kept within our own institution (eg IP
authenticated/proxied).
The simul user count would vary by individual document.
For instance, for Document A, we can only allow 1 simul user access at a
time, for Document B we can allow 3, etc. for each PDF we upload into the
system.

Our website is Drupal, entirely under our control, so if anyone knows of a
Drupal module that can do this, please let me know that.

Otherwise, are there any hosting services, either standalone or that might
be a side-benefit of a larger package we might already have, that can do
this?

I know a couple of our vendors have some capability of allowing us to
upload our own content into their platforms (I think Proquest might, for
example), but don't know if they can add the simul user control to that.

We are also pretty good with self-hosting open source systems, so if
someone knows of an open-source "product" that we might install on our own
servers, that would be useful to know too.

Any help, advice, pointers, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island