[Eril-l] Job Opportunity: Systems Librarian, Georgetown University Library
mdw65 at georgetown.edu
Tue Oct 1 09:41:21 PDT 2019
The Systems Librarian coordinates the management of the Library’s Ex Libris
Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System, supporting the integration of the
ILS with other platforms used within the Library. S/he leads the design,
implementation, and maintenance of additional tools and platforms for user
discovery and management of Library resources. Working both independently
and as part of a team, the Systems Librarian develops, implements, and
assesses Library tools and services by focusing on usability,
accessibility, sustainability, and performance. The Systems Librarian also
provides expertise and works collaboratively with staff across the Library
to automate workflows and optimize the discovery experience for patrons.
Reporting to the Head of Library Information Technology, the Systems
Librarian’s core duties include:
*Manages the Library’s Integrated Library System*
- Serves as the administrator and main technical lead for the Library’s
Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Tests new functionality and system upgrades, and evaluates current
utilization of system modules and workflows to recommend modifications to
workflows and system configurations as needed to increase efficiency.
- Troubleshoots problems with the ILS and acts as a liaison between the
vendor and Library staff members to report problems and ensure their
- Coordinates with Library, University, and WRLC departments to manage
incoming data feeds including but not limited to: acquisitions and other
data; complex bibliographic, holdings and item data; patron data.
- Acts as the Library’s representative to various local and national
- Consults with end users with regard to system capabilities and
functionality, forwarding requests for system modifications and/or
enhancements to the vendor as appropriate.
- Leads the development of policies and procedures as needed to ensure
the efficient operation and management of Library systems.
- Gathers and reports statistics and data from Library systems to inform
decision-making related to Library services.
*Develops, Enhances, and Coordinates Library Discovery Services*
- Leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of new tools and
services for user discovery and management of Library resources.
- Leads the development of strategies to improve the discovery of
Library collections and services by designing, developing, and implementing
solutions that integrate existing tools with new technologies and
approaches to create a seamless discovery experience for users.
- Develops and implements strategies and solutions to improve user
experience and maximize the discovery of Library resources by conducting
usability testing and user-centered design research.
- Provides training and creates documentation for internal and external
users related to the Integrated Library System and other Library discovery
*Supports Library Systems and Platforms*
- Supports both hosted and locally-managed systems in support of Library
collections, workflows, and services.
- Develops and documents internal processes and procedures that support
Library systems and services.
- Assists in the development of new Library systems and services through
an iterative and data-driven process that emphasizes sustainability and
- Develops scripts or programs that enable automation of routine Library
workflows and tasks and develops enhancements to new and existing Library
*Professional Development & Library-wide Initiatives*
- Serves on departmental, Library, and/or University-wide committees and
task forces; participates in local consortia and regional and national
- Contributes to the profession through writing for publication,
presentation, and/or active involvement in professional associations at the
local, regional, or national level.
- Continually acquires new knowledge and updates skills to enhance
professional performance in all areas of responsibility.
- Keeps abreast of developments, trends, and issues in areas of
- Monitors trends and maintains currency in emerging issues within areas
To view the full position description and to apply, visit
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Eril-l