[Eril-l] WMS Discovery and Kanopy

Lisa Gonzalez lgonzalez at palni.edu
Tue May 7 10:20:32 PDT 2019

Have you considered posting your question on OCLC's Community Center for
Collection Manager -
https://www.oclc.org/community/discussions/collection_manager.en.html? You
may get more libraries chiming in, and OCLC monitors the discussion forums.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM Freeda Brook <fbrook at luther.edu> wrote:

> I've also noticed this discrepancy. I'm not sure how frequently Kanopy is
> sending updated data to OCLC, but if you look at the history of collection
> updates in WMS, most of the updates are one-title updates provided by
> member libraries. This is actually also what I do. I only turn on titles
> we've licensed, so if I don't find a particular title in the collection,
> I'll add it. Looking back through the collection history, the last major
> update was March 11, but it didn't include new records.
>
> Normally I would suggest that this requires some advocacy on our part to
> Kanopy and OCLC to ensure more frequent updates, and of course this would
> be the best course for metadata integrity. But like you say, there may be
> some benefit to having the smaller collection as a cost-control mechanism.
>
> Freeda Brook, MLIS/MPA
> Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian
> Preus Library, Luther College
> 700 College Dr.
> Decorah, IA 52101
>
> (563) 387-2124
> fbrook at luther.edu
>
> Pronouns: she/her/hers
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 9:10 AM Alice Pearman <alcts.alice at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Good morning ERIL-L,
>>
>> Forgive me if this isn't quite the right place to ask this question; I
>> wasn't sure where else to ask.
>>
>> Our library subscribes to Kanopy and uses WMS Discovery. The librarian
>> who manages WMS turned on Kanopy in the Knowledgebase when we started using
>> Kanopy more than a year ago.
>>
>> It doesn't appear the title list in the Knowledgebase has kept up with
>> the title list in Kanopy. The Knowledgebase list displays 21,044 titles,
>> but I know there are probably 32,000 or so in all of Kanopy right now.
>>
>> We know there's usually a lag between a database content and the
>> Knowledgebase knowing about it, but this seems to be more than a lag. Any
>> thoughts from the collective? Right now I'm kind of relieved it hasn't kept
>> up, considering how our Kanopy usage has skyrocketed, but I am curious
>> about this.
>>
>> Alice Pearman
>> Assistant Professor | Digital Projects Librarian
>> Lamson Library, Plymouth State University
>> 603.535.2226

Lisa Gonzalez | PALNI Knowledge Base and License Manager Librarian
Private Academic Library Network of Indiana

317-550-5229 | lgonzalez at palni.edu | www.palni.edu