[Eril-l] ALCTS Virtual Preconferences 6/4-6/5 and 6/11-6/12

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:40:25 PDT 2019

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

Please consider attending these ALCTS Virtual Preconferences:

*Advocating for your Department and Library *

Dates: Tuesday, 6/4/2019 - Wednesday, 6/5/2019

Libraries are continuing to evolve not only technically, but also
politically. Due to the current political climate, it is becoming more
important for libraries to advocate for the values that they stand for,
including code of conduct, diversity, inclusion, and social justice. This
pre-conference will explore different ways libraries can be influential for
advocating for their services as well as their values.

Session 1

Organizing for Change

Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT

How do we get our libraries from where they are to where we want them to
be? Advocacy for the things that matter isn't magic. It begins and ends
with library skills: clarifying demands, making lists, talking to each
other, and coming together when it matters. Drawing on experience from both
union and library work, this presentation will offer strategies for
building power collectively in order to move us, our libraries, and our
communities forward.

Session 2

Trouble Your Magic: Technical Services is Advocacy

Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT

Library workers in technical services and technologist roles are
significant actors in shaping library cultures. How can we become conscious
advocates in our systems, standards, and initiatives? How can we challenge
the narrative that library systems happen elsewhere? This talk describes
ongoing tensions in technical services work while offering potential points
of entry for library workers interested in advocacy from 'behind the
scenes' positions.

This virtual preconference is co-sponsored by LITA and LLAMA , divisions of
the American Library Association.

Learning Outcomes

    Participants will learn new strategies on advocating for their
libraries.

    Participants will be exposed to social issues that are being addressed
in other libraries throughout the country

    Participants will learn how advocacy leaders in the field work with
their colleagues to effect change

Who Should Attend

Librarians, staff, and information professionals interested in learning
about social issues surrounding libraries in this political environment.
Librarians seeking to learn strategies on advocating for your department,
your staff, your library and your community.

Presenters

Emily Drabinski is Critical Pedagogy Librarian at the Graduate Center,
CUNY. She edits Gender and Sexuality in Information Studies, a book series
from Library Juice Press/Litwin Books.

Angela Galvan manages electronic resources for Brown University Library.
Her research interests include critical algorithm studies, decay in
technology and infrastructure, and digital estates. Angela is an editor for
Weave: Journal of Library User Experience.
Click here for more information about the June 4th & 5th virtual
preconference.
<http://www.ala.org/alcts/advocating-your-department-and-library> Library
Project Management 101
*Session 1*

*Library Project Management 101, Part 1*
Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT

This session will introduce library staff to the basics of project
management. We will consider what we mean by a ‘project’ in the first place
and discuss the different types of projects there are. This session will
explain the different stages of starting, planning, implementing and
closing a project and introduce some common terminology used in project
management. It will outline some of the different project management
methodologies so that participants can start becoming familiar with names
such as Prince 2, Agile, Critical path and Integrated project management.
*Session 2*

*Library Project Management 101, Part 2*
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT

This session follows on from part 1 and will discuss the make up of a
project team and what the team needs to be effective. We will consider the
various stakeholders that might work with the project team or who might be
affected by the changes made, and what considerations we might need to make
in order to create effective working practices. This session will also
introduce participants to the role of technology within project management
and discuss different tools and their uses.
Learning Outcomes

By the end of Session 1 you will be able to:

   1. Define what a project is and identify different types of project.
   2. Explain the different stages of the project management cycle.
   3. List different project management terms and describe what they mean.
   4. Identify different project management methodologies

By the end of Session 2 you will be able to:

   1. Identify the different roles within a project management team and
   describe their requirements
   2. Consider the different people that may be involved and/or affected by
   a project and explain ways of dealing with them
   3. Outline how and why technology can be useful for projects and
   identify different tools that can be used.

Who Should Attend

Librarians, staff, and information professionals who are new to project
management. No prior knowledge required.
Host

*Lisa Jeskins* is Deputy Chair of the CILIP Information Literacy Group and
was involved with the LILAC Conference for nine years. Lisa has 15 years’
experience working in libraries and is now self-employed. Lisa specializes
in providing dynamic and interactive training and facilitation for
information professionals from across the UK. She has trained staff from
the British Library, the Bodleian Libraries (Oxford University), the
University of Nottingham, the University of Manchester, and Lancaster
University amongst others. Lisa trains on a wide range of subjects
including negotiating and influencing, project management, team building,
moving into management, and train the trainer.

Click here for more information about the June 11th & 12th virtual
preconference. <http://www.ala.org/alcts/library-project-management-101>

*****************

Registration Fee for single session (USD)

ALCTS Member (individual) $43

Nonmember (individual) $59

Groups (applies to group of people that will watch the webinar together
from one access point.) $129

Registration Fee for both sessions (USD)

ALCTS Member (individual) $69

Nonmember (individual) $95

Groups (applies to group of people that will watch the webinar together
from one access point.) $206

All sessions are recorded and the one-time fee includes unlimited access to
the session recording. All registered attendees will receive the link to
the recorded session so if you are unable to attend the virtual
preconference at the time it is presented, you will have the opportunity to
listen to the recording at your convenience.

How to Register

Complete the individual session online registration form
<http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=olweb&Template=/Conference/ConferenceList.cfm&ConferenceTypeCode=X>
or the complete series online registration
<http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=eventsconf&Template=/Conference/ConferenceList.cfm&ConferenceTypeCode=M>
form. Sessions are listed by date and you must log in.

or

Contact us to register:

Call 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 to reach our customer service
representatives or

Register by mail for the session you would like to attend. (If you receive
an error message after clicking the "register by mail" link, right-click
the link and save the form to your computer.)

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org.

For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Megan
Dougherty, ALCTS Program Officer, Continuing Education at 1-800-545-2433,
ext. 5038 or mdougherty at ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.