[Eril-l] ACRL NEC ERMIG Spring Program - registration now open!

D'Amato, Kristin (Library) damatok at ccsu.edu
Mon Mar 18 09:52:33 PDT 2019

***Cross-posted to multiple lists; please excuse any duplication***

What are we paying for?
Registration is now open!<https://springermig2019.eventbrite.com>
Friday April 19, 2019 from 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Lesley University
Sherrill Library, 89 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
9:30-10:00 Check-in and Continental Breakfast; Sign Up for Lunch
10:00-10:15 Welcome and Opening Remarks
10:15-11:00  Evaluating Big Deal Cancellation Impact
The UMass Amherst Libraries canceled our subscription to the Royal Society of Chemistry journal bundle in 2016, after years of unsustainable price increases. This presentation will cover both the decision making process and our ongoing collaborative project to evaluate the impact of cancellation on faculty research, interlibrary loan use, and library-wide costs. This story is specific to UMass Amherst, but our methods for gathering patron feedback, comparing COUNTER usage statistics with Interlibrary Loan numbers, and setting copyright and fees from other libraries alongside subscription costs can be adjusted for any library. (Kate Zdepski, University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
11:00-11:45  Electronic Resources at Rhode Island School of Design's Fleet Library: Assessing and Balancing Community Needs
While every library examines and assesses the resources that it provides to its community of users, the assessment of electronic resources at an independent college of art and design (AICAD), especially one that often looks outside of AICAD for its benchmarks, offers a unique experience for its team of librarians to provide online collections that best support existing and an increasing number of curricular programs. Housed in a renovated banking hall from 1917 on the National Register of Historic Places, the Fleet Library at RISD offers faculty and students a tremendous sense of place in a richly inviting environment surrounded by physical holdings. It can come as a surprise, then, to learn of the electronic resources that the RISD library also provides: e-books, for example, outnumber analog books and digital images provided via subscription stretch into the millions. This presentation will speak to these challenges through a description of how RISD evaluates its electronic resources, the decision-making process and the persons involved, optimal and prohibitive pricing models, and provide some examples of deeper user engagement. (Mark Pompelia, Rhode Island School of Design)
11:45-12:00  Break
12:00-12:45  Implementing a Demand-Driven Acquisitions Program at Emmanuel College, Boston, MA.
This presentation will discuss how Emmanuel decided to go beyond our consortium's shared e-book program and implement our own JSTOR DDA program.  It will discuss how we create access to the titles both purchased and non-purchased, how purchases are triggered and details of the workflow.
It will touch on how this product fits into our collection decisions and mention feedback and promotion of the product to our users at Emmanuel College.  My hope is to help other libraries understand more about this particular product and how they might incorporate something like this into their own workflow. (Catherine Tuohy, Emmanuel College)
12:45-1:00 Closing Remarks
1:00-3:00  Optional dine-arounds for lunch (aka informal networking opportunities) in Harvard Square; sign-up sheets will be at the registration table.
ERMIG and ACRL NEC value diverse perspectives and respect for all participants and staff members. By registering for ERMIG's program, you agree to follow the Code of Conduct<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16nq9JuGo1IIUltcGQxsQhPbFEmQn2fjE8j0E6W2IPUg/edit?usp=sharing>. We look forward to learning along with all of you!
For questions or more information, contact one of the event coordinators:
Kristin D'Amato, Central Connecticut State University<mailto:damatok at ccsu.edu>
Erin Wentz, MCPHS University<mailto:erin.wentz at mcphs.edu>