[Eril-l] Usage Statistics Spreadsheet Templates

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Mon Jan 28 06:45:38 PST 2019

If this were three years from now, I'd completely agree. However, we don't
yet know how many of our vendors are going to opt to provide previous year
data in R5, as opposed to providing R4 and R5 concurrently for the next 2-3
years.  I was thrilled that EBSCO opted to provide the 2016-2018 data in R5
but so far they are the only major vendor I know of doing that.

If you, like we, consider that any decisions on usage data should involve
more than a single year's data, we're going to continue to need to analyze
R4 data for up to 3 more years.

This is a tough year to be a new e-resources librarian, having to learn the
old and new COUNTER data definitions and formats all at the same time.
Kathleen, if you can tell us WHY you're trying to put all your data into a
single file, we may be able to help you further. I assume by the way that
you mean all per type of data, e.g. all BR2s in one file, all JR1s in
another, etc. It would make no sense at all to try to mix different report
formats into a single file.

Also if your institution can afford it, you should look at commercial
services like Redlink to help you manage it all and generate useful reports.

I've got a team of computer science students working right now on a project
to SUSHI-harvest and integrate R4 and R5 data for reporting, but I have no
idea at this time if they will complete the project successfully by the end
of this semester. If they do, I will absolutely share it with everyone
(they've agreed to that). It's being built for Google Sheets, not Excel.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca  902-566-0581