[Eril-l] Usage Statistics Spreadsheet Templates

Athena Hoeppner athena at ucf.edu
Fri Jan 25 13:21:40 PST 2019

My sage advice:  use COUNTER 5 as the basis for any templates, formulas, and other Excel massaging of COUNTER usage data.  COUNTER 5 will greatly improve the consistency of the reports, and the mandatory transition period is Jan-April 2019.

You can see Sample COUNTER 5 reports here:
Report_ID

Report_Name

Tabular Sample

PR

Platform Master Report

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=56158149>

PR_P1

Platform Usage

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1932253188>

DR

Database Master Report

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=306697142>

DR_D1

Database Search and Item Usage

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=2078630487>

DR_D2

Database Access Denied

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1814899913>

TR

Title Master Report

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1709631407>

TR_B1

Book Requests (Excluding OA_Gold)

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1559300549>

TR_B2

Book Access Denied

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=273489278>

TR_B3

Book Usage by Access Type

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=11711129>

TR_J1

Journal Requests (Excluding OA_Gold)

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=717003541>

TR_J2

Journal Access Denied

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=922660693>

TR_J3

Journal Usage by Access Type

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1946782958>

TR_J4

Journal Request by YOP (Excluding OA_Gold)

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1963232177>

IR

Item Master Report

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=816022274>

IR_A1

Journal Article Requests

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1398783371>

IR_M1

Multimedia Item Requests

view<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fsF_JCuOelUs9s_cvu7x_Yn8FNsi5xK0CR3bu2X_dVI/edit#gid=1200249140>

https://www.projectcounter.org/appendix-i-sample-counter-repor/

A couple of things to note:
There are several basic reports types:

  *   Platforms Reports (PR)
  *   Databases Reports (DR)
  *   Title Reports (i.e. journals, books) (TR)
  *   Item Reports (i.e. articles, multimedia items, etc.)

For each report type there is a Master Report, one or more Standard Reports, and, ideally, customizable reports.

  *   Master Reports include all the available data elements, with no filters applied.
  *   Standard Reports are based on the Master Report, with a consistent set of filters applied.  The resulting can be useful to ensure that the same filters are applied for comparing year-to-year, resource-to-resource, or institution-to-institution. You may notice their similarity to COUNTER 4 Reports (i.e. TR_B2 is similar to BR2 for Book Access Denied)
  *   Customized Reports should be widely available for COUNTER 5, because if the vendor's Reports interface should let you apply filters at the time of requesting the report.  See the screenshot below for an example report request form from EBSCO.

COUNTER 5 comes with some new terminology and some nuances that I'm still wrapping my head around, but I am very excited about the improvements this version will bring!

Athena

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4B4CA.0D0F0A70]

Athena Hoeppner
Discovery Services Librarian