[Eril-l] Kanopy

Wallis, Lisa l-wallis at neiu.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:09:46 PST 2019

Thanks, Ann. Those are great tips.

Over the last few months I began reviewing our invoices for duplicate
content, and kanopy has provided a refund for those titles that we already
had available elsewhere. I think that was mentioned first on this list. Of
course, you have to ask and submit the request within a certain number of
days of invoicing.

We've also deactivated some of the "repeat offenders"--collections with
titles (PBS, Psychotherapy.net, California Newsreel) that are mostly
duplicated in our other subscription packages (Films On Demand and AVON).
The kanopy films we've already licensed from those collections remain
available until license expiration.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM Ann Miller <aemiller at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Like all libraries everywhere, we’re also trying to figure out how to
> manage Kanopy costs. Here are a couple of things we’ve moved to:
>

> -          Putting Kanopy on “hiatus” over breaks. Existing rentals are
> available, but all other titles moved to mediated access. We did this over
> the Christmas/New Years holidays. We’re considering it for the summer.
>
> -          Proxying Kanopy on campus. We began to realize that our
> community patrons were coming in to the library and watching films. We
> haven’t gotten complaints from students or faculty about the additional
> steps.
>
> -          Deactivated “Great Courses” and looking at other
> possibilities. We like to think we already provide “great courses”. Of
> course we then immediately had a faculty request one. Oh well.
>
> -          Reviewing use to identify films regularly accessed and then
> going to a 3-5 year lease for those (in process).
>
> -          Considering a “package” rental for the Criterion Collection
> for a 3 year lease. We have a Cinema Studies program and we can then
> promote those for “recreational” viewing. It might save money in the long
> run.
>

> I do think that the proxying all access to Kanopy has helped greatly. Our
> reference librarians suggested this and we implemented it in late December.
> Our January numbers have gone back to “normal” after some alarming spikes
> in Oct. and Nov. 2018. Even so, my forecasting suggests that costs will
> continue to increase. We aren’t out of the woods yet!
>

> Ann
>

> Ann E. Miller
>
> Director of Collection Services
>
> University of Oregon Libraries
>
> 1299 University of Oregon,
>
> Eugene, OR 97403-1299
>
> U.S.A.
>
> Email: aemiller at uoregon.edu
>
> Phone: 011.541.346.3064
>
> Fax: 011.541.346.3485

Lisa Wallis, Acting Dean of Libraries

eResources & Systems Librarian / Associate Professor

Ronald Williams Library

Northeastern Illinois University

5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625

Phone: (773) 442-4571

Library Administration: (773) 442-4470

www.neiu.edu

[image: NEIU_150_logo.png] <https://neiu.edu/>