[Eril-l] changes in Carnegie Classification

Nagata, Judith jnagata at holycross.edu
Wed Jan 2 12:59:07 PST 2019

Sarah,

I agree with Dave Fowler. However, it is true that if your institution adds
a PhD (at a Master's institution) or increases the number of your
PhD-granting programs, you will be reclassed at a different Carnegie level
and some costs will rise. This happened at a previous institution. You can
negotiate with vendors, however, to offset or delay the costs so that you
can prepare your Administration and your budget for the change. There
weren't a lot of vendors, but there are some and the cost increases for a
couple were significant. I don't know what would happen when the Carnegie
classification *system* changes, but I suspect Dave's information can help
you prepare for that.

Best,

Judith

--