[Eril-l] Lack of support for IPv6?

Girke, Thomas (IM&T, Clayton) Thomas.Girke at csiro.au
Tue Jan 1 20:29:07 PST 2019

Hello Lisa,

CSIRO uses dual stack with all PC's assigned an IPv4 and IPv6 address.  We don't use a proxy, however our VPN for off-site access only uses IPv4.

We've had three instances over the last year when access to online content was interrupted due to IPv6 authentication.  Once IPv6 support is switched on by the publisher access falls over unless IPv6 ranges are added in advance.  Authentication doesn't fall back to IPv4 even if a machine has a IPv4 and IPv6 address.

The key here is timely communication from publishers regarding changes to their platform that effect IPv6 authentication.  If a publisher plans to implement IPv6 support they need to let customers know well in advance so that institutions can supply their ranges.  In two of the situations we needed to do quite a bit of internal investigating to work out why access had fallen over and communicate to the publisher that it was an IPv6 issue that they needed to resolve.  In one instance the publisher wasn't even aware their third party service provider had switched on IPv6 support.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas Girke
Senior Manager | Information Resources
Library Services
CSIRO
E thomas.girke at csiro.au<mailto:thomas.girke at csiro.au> P +61 3 9545 7866 M +61 418 821 977
Private Bag 89, Clayton Sth, VIC 3169 Australia
www.csiro.au<http://www.csiro.au>
PLEASE NOTE