[Eril-l] RefWorks and APA 7th style and DOI handling

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Wed Dec 4 08:52:20 PST 2019

This is only relevant to RefWorks customers.

The good news is the Proquest/Exlibris has released its style support for
the new APA 7th Edition.

The bad news is that they've made what I consider to be a very poor choice
on how to handle the DOI.  I've communicated with them about this and
they're sticking to their lame arguments and made it clear that they won't
change unless they get a lot of negative feedback from other customers.

Here's the situation:
APA 7th now requires DOIs to be formatted as: https://doi.org/10.blahblah
RefWorks is requiring us to hardcode the entire https://doi.org/ prefix in
the DOI field itself, rather than add it as part of the citation generation
(like they do with pp. for page numbers, for instance).
This violates the entire spirit of the RefWorks product, which is to have
metadata be NOT edited to match a single particular style so they can be
re-used easily with different styles.

I have opened an IdeasExchange post on this, and if you have "votes" to use
and care about this issue, I encourage you to apply some of your votes to
it:
https://ideas.exlibrisgroup.com/forums/909445-refworks/suggestions/39183304-apa-7th-style-should-insert-http-prefix-to-doi-no

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca  902-566-0581
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-4433-0189
my public calendar
<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mbelvadi%40upei.ca&ctz=America/Halifax&mode=week>
Make an appointment <https://mbelvadi.youcanbook.me/> via YouCanBookMe
Get your flu shot! Free to everyone with a PEI Health Card
<https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/news/flu-season-is-almost-here-time-to-get-your-flu-shot-0>