[Eril-l] Seeking comments and info on Newsbank local newspaper subcriptions

Andree Rathemacher andree at uri.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:53:49 PDT 2019

*** Please excuse cross-posting ***

Hello colleagues!

I'm co-presenting at the Rhode Island Library Association conference in
May, and in my segment I'll be discussing the University of Rhode Island's
experiences negotiating with Newsbank after they became the exclusive
provider of the online current issues, archives, and microfilm of our local
newspaper The Providence Journal.

Charlie Remy of University of Tennessee at Chattanooga posted a similar
request to ERIL-L back in the fall [10-15-2018] and summarized for the list
[10-31-2018].

I'm seeking similar information, specifically:

   - If you are newly getting online access through Newsbank to your local
   paper and you used to get online access through a different vendor (e.g.
   ProQuest), are you paying a lot more now than you did before? If so, what %
   more?
   - Did you have to buy a larger product with more content than you wanted?
   - Did you decide NOT to subscribe to Newsbank content that is the
   exclusive source of your local newspaper?
   - Did you negotiate with Newsbank successfully to either:
      - Pay a lower price than originally quoted?
      - Subscribe to a smaller content package than originally quoted?
      - Negotiate (or pay) for perpetual access to content?
      - Receive any other concessions?

Please respond off-list. I will keep responses confidential if requested
to.

Many thanks,
Andrée

--
Andrée Rathemacher  |  Professor / Head, Acquisitions
University Libraries, University of Rhode Island  |  (401) 874-5096  |
andree at uri.edu