[Eril-l] Knowledgebase Review- Tips, Tricks, Research?

Harper, Cynthia charper at vts.edu
Wed Apr 10 11:22:39 PDT 2019

You probably know about this article from UNC’s Kristina Spurgin https://journal.code4lib.org/articles/9684.  I realize it worked with ebooks, but possibly she has some article sites there too?

Cindy

From: Eril-l <eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org> On Behalf Of Melissa Belvadi
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:47 AM
To: Alexander Dodd <adodd1 at loyola.edu>
Cc: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] Knowledgebase Review- Tips, Tricks, Research?

I am just this week wrapping up a CS student project (for which I'm the "client") that involves screenscraping publisher websites to determine if we in fact have access to the journal volumes that our knowledgebase says we have. I don't know if you intended your technical review of access to include that level of what I call "reality checking".

But if anyone else out there reading this has done that kind of screenscraping coding, I'd be interesting in sharing the brittle details publisher by publisher of what you look at on the publisher website to determine access. For instance, we've found that some publishers don't distinguish "you have access because we've made it free to everyone" (in a non-OA sense, like Nature, which could be revoked at any time) versus "you have access because you paid for it" in any way that we can tell via screenscraping.

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca<mailto:mbelvadi at upei.ca>  902-566-0581