[Eril-l] Staff Hours per E-Resource Title

Angela Galvan angela_galvan at brown.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:25:02 PDT 2018

A study or guideline for something like this would be wonderful but
ultimately limited by the systems and practices in place at each
institution, and it would shift depending on the time of year. I manage a
huge volume of resources but have far fewer staff devoted to the task than
our peer institutions. I might look at peers and go from there if you're
being asked for that kind of deliverable, and I would offer the caveat that
this data was a snapshot and not a comprehensive measure.

That said, having been an "only" at many points in my career, I might start
with illustrating the complexity of electronic resources management and go
from there. One framework for starting to look at things your institution
will quantify is through whatever version of their strategic plan is in
operation, combined with the things you value (and can measure) about your
work. For example, if you value a high service orientation and
responsiveness you could look at problem resolution, email response volume,
or similar metrics.

Some suggestions:

Singley, E., & Natches, J. (2017). Finding the gaps: A survey of electronic
resource management in Alma, Sierra, and WMS. Journal of Electronic
Resources Librarianship, 29(2), 71-83
Blake, K., & Collins, M. (2010). Controlling chaos: management of
electronic journal holdings in an academic library environment. Serials
Review, 36(4), 242-250.
There's also Heather Wilson's piece in Against The Grain, Optimizing an
Octopus: A Look at the Current State of Electronic Resources Management and
New Developments in the CORAL ERM System .

If anyone would like copies of these or want to talk through a framework,
feel free to contact me off-list.

Angela Galvan
Eresources Manager
Brown University Library