[Eril-l] ALCTS e-Forum: Outward Facing Technical Services

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:15:01 PDT 2018

*Cross posted to multiple lists.*

ALCTS e-Forum: Outward Facing Technical Services

October 16-17, 2018

Moderated by Rachel Fleming and Erin Leach

Please join us for an e-forum discussion. It’s free and open to everyone!

Registration information is at the end of the message.

Each day, discussion begins and ends at:

Pacific: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Mountain: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Central: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Eastern: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

The technical work of acquiring and describing materials for library
collections is often invisible, and can suffer from taking place in an
insular world isolated from other library units and library users. When
library workers engaged in technical services work understand the needs of
the communities we serve and address those needs with our specific
expertise, we are more engaged with our work. In turn, that work becomes
more vibrant, vital, and valuable.

In this e-Forum, we will develop and exchange practical methods of turning
outward, using lived experience and Libraries Transform resources. We will
explore how turning outward can influence our daily work, help us build
relationships and develop shared understandings, and empower us to be
community leaders and change agents.

Moderators

Rachel Fleming works on affordable course materials, scholarly
communication, and collection assessment as Collections Initiatives
Librarian at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Fleming has over
ten years of experience in library technical services including collection
development, collection management, serials, and acquisitions. Fleming’s
research interests center around the development of professional identity
and leadership skills.

Erin Leach is Special Collections Cataloging Librarian at the University of
Georgia, where she responsible for cataloging published materials for the
Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library and the Richard B. Russell Library
for Political Research & Studies. In her spare time, Erin is a second-year
PhD student that the University of Georgia’s Institute of Higher Education,
where her interests center around the role of the academic library in the
higher education ecosystem.

What Is an e-Forum?

An ALCTS e-forum provides an opportunity for librarians to discuss matters
of interest, led by a moderator, through the e-forum discussion list. The
e-forum discussion list works like an email listserv: register your email
address with the list, and then you will receive messages and communicate
with other participants through an email discussion. Most e-forums last two
to three days. Registration is necessary to participate, but it's free.

For information about upcoming e-forums, please visit
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/e-forum

How to Register

You must register your email address to subscribe to or access an
electronic discussion list on ALA's Mailing List Service. Once you have
registered for one e-forum, you do not need to register again, unless you
choose to leave the list. Find instructions for subscribing and
unsubscribing online. (
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/e-forum/sympa)

If you have any problems, please contact alcts-eforum-request at ala.org.

*Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.*