[Eril-l] ALCTS webinar: Licensing Electronic Resources in Library Consortia

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:49:40 PDT 2018

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

ALCTS webinar: Licensing Electronic Resources in Library Consortia

Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11 AM Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1 PM Central, and 2 PM Eastern time.

This is the sixth session in a six-part series.  View the other sessions in
this series <http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/Iicensing>
.

During this six-part webinar series, attendees will learn the fundamental
structure of contracts, commonly used terms, and how to address
indemnification clauses, constraints on use permissions, problems of legal
jurisdiction, perpetual access rights, and some more recent developments
such as the pursuit of text and data mining rights. Contributors will also
explore some complex legal issues and other aspects of electronic resources
management including how to maintain positive working relationships with
vendors, track important changes in business models and technologies, and
control costs. Above all, attendees should understand how licensing does
not occur in a vacuum, but must be well grounded in a complex chain of
information exchange within and beyond the library, all of which should be
undertaken to support the library’s mission as understood and implemented
by the library administration.

*****************

state of Ohio. A large part of OhioLINK’s work centers around shared
licensing of electronic materials: databases, e-Books, and e-Journals.

In this webinar, OhioLINK’s Deputy Director, Operations and eLicensing will
cover what is involved when working on a consortial license and the factors
considered when working through the following:

Content
• How we approach acquiring and renewing/cancelling content.
• How we determine if a package meets the needs of our members.
• The different ways content is offered to members to ensure it meets all
of our member’s needs.

Vendor Negotiations
• What data points and information we make sure to know before engaging in
a negotiation and how it may differ from individual institution negotiation
efforts.
• How we work with vendors when determining price and what we do internally
to ensure accuracy.
• The pressure points which consortia contend with that make or break a
deal.

Contracts
• What terms and conditions, language, and information we try to address in
a consortial license.

Communication to Membership
• How we approach communicating licenses and their terms to the community.

Learning outcomes:

This webinar will:

• Help participants understand why a consortia offers specific deals and
how they relate to membership content needs.

•Help participants understand how negotiating a consortial deal is
different from an individual institution resource negotiation.

• Review the difference between contract terms/content in a consortial
contract vs. a contract for an individual institution.

•Help participants understand how licensed content is communicated within a
consortium.

Who should attend?

Librarians and staff working that work on licensing and/or collection
development.

Presenter:

Amy Pawlowski is currently the Deputy Director at OhioLINK where she
manages OhioLINK’s operations and e-Resource negotiations. Amy came to
OhioLINK from the Cleveland Public Library, where she was the web manager
and oversaw e-Resources for CPL and CLEVNET. She was the first partner
services manager at Overdrive, an archivist for the Cleveland Orchestra and
worked for several academic libraries. Amy has taught information literacy,
serves on a number of advisory groups and is a regular conference presenter.

*****************

Registration Fees:

Registration fees for single webinar:  ALCTS Member $43; Non-member $59;
Group rate $129

Registration fees for webinar series:  ALCTS Member $206; Non-member $283;
Group rate $619
How to Register: Complete the individual webinar online registration form
<http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=olweb&Template=/Conference/ConferenceList.cfm&ConferenceTypeCode=X>
or the complete series online registration
<http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=eventsconf&Template=/Conference/ConferenceList.cfm&ConferenceTypeCode=M>
form. You must log in to register.

For additional information about this webinar, please go to the following
website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/100318

For more information about this series of webinars, please go to the
following website:
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/Iicensing

All webinars are recorded and the one-time fee includes unlimited access to
the webinar recording. All registered attendees will receive the link to
the recorded session so if you are unable to attend the webinar at the time
it is presented, you will have the opportunity to listen to the recording
at your convenience.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org. For all other
questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Megan Dougherty,
Program Officer, ALCTS Continuing Education at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5038 or
mdougherty at ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.