[Eril-l] Questions about JSTOR print de-accessioning and faculty requests

Divan, Linda A divanl at cedarville.edu
Mon Nov 12 11:34:05 PST 2018

We're a small private university, and I don't think have had many requests
for our withdrawn materials, but we do have a withdrawal marking system
that seems like overkill to the uninitiated student employee.

 "Withdrawn" is stamped on the title page, and I think on the edge of the
book. Any identifying marks (call number, barcode, possession stamp, "for
reference" sticker, etc.) are marked out with a permanent black marker. If
someone does try to give it back to us, we tell them we got rid of it and
don't want it back (more nicely than that, but that's the idea). A lot of
our withdrawn materials go into our book sales, but they're so marked up
that we won't get them back.

side note - one bound journal withdrawn long ago was deemed by one of our
professors to be the perfect size for target shooting so he took home a
pickup truckload!

Linda Divan
Library Systems Co-ordinator
Centennial Library