[Eril-l] Dates & Location for National Media Market 2019 Announced!

Miller, Erin Erin.Miller at unt.edu
Thu Nov 29 15:15:40 PST 2018

Forty-First National Media Market to Convene in Austin, TX!

The 41st National Media Market and Conference (NMM) will open on Sunday, October 21st, 2019, to run for 4 days in Austin, Texas. The nonprofit, boutique event is the only one dedicated to bringing together librarians who collect and manage film with film distributors, streaming platforms, and other media companies for commerce and knowledge.

"This will be our first time in Austin, as far as I know," stated NMM Chair and Marketing Coordinator Jeff Tamblyn "and everyone on our board of directors - comprised of librarians and exhibitors - is excited to make the trip. Austin's position as a hub for independent film makes this a special opportunity for us."

For librarians, educators and others who purchase and license content, the Market offers a uniquely collegial atmosphere. Erin Miller, who serves as Head of Media & Discovery Park Libraries, University of North Texas, said, "National Media Market provides a much-needed focus on the skills and knowledge of our particular library discipline. Whether your media responsibilities are full-time or part-time, what you learn and gain access to provides a huge boost in productivity and will keep you from making mistakes that can cost your institution. For me, it's an easy decision to attend."

Alex Hoskyns-Abrahall, who performs dual executive roles at Bullfrog Films and Docuseek2, remarked, "Once vendors understand what they truly gain in terms of relationships, knowledge, and up-to-the-minute intelligence about our industry, they want to return as often as possible. Bullfrog and Docuseek2 go to a lot of conferences, but NMM is a centerpiece of our marketing and sales picture. We've attended the Market every year since it started."

Known for its active social life, NMM also organizes evening activities that bring attendees together with vendors for fun and networking.

NMM's newest 'side-project,' the Academic Libraries Video Trust (ALVT), has also drawn attention by creating a cooperative, cloud-based repository of digital files from VHS-based content that qualifies for copying under Section 108 of U.S. Copyright Law. Originally funded by the late deg farrelly, a highly respected media librarian, ALVT will hold a users' group session annually at the Market, beginning in Austin. "We'll announce the details shortly," said Tamblyn, "but librarians from ALVT member institutions are going to qualify for significant registration discounts to this year's Market."

Whole-event passes to NMM will sell for $349, and for $249 during the Early-Bird registration period. They'll include a welcome reception, buffet lunches, all professional development sessions, and access to exhibitor suites. The main location is the Embassy Suites Austin Central.

Further information and a complete schedule of events will be posted as it becomes available at nmm.net. Interested potential exhibitors and attendees are welcome to contact directly NMM Chair Jeff Tamblyn chair at nmm.net<mailto:chair at nmm.net>.

Further information about the Academic Libraries Video Trust is available at videotrust.org.

Contact: NMM Chair Jeff Tamblyn chair at nmm.net<mailto:chair at nmm.net> or 913 219 6533

Erin DeWitt Miller
University of North Texas Libraries