[Eril-l] FW: ACS and pay-per-view - would you be interested?

van Sickle, Jennifer Jennifer.vanSickle at trincoll.edu
Fri May 11 10:08:38 PDT 2018

Thank you, Jackie, for starting this discussion.  I’m not happy about annual database price inflation either, but it’s a problem with most vendors across the board for us.

We’re longtime subscribers to the ACS journals and bought the archive in the early 2000s.  We’re also an undergraduate college with an FTE under 2,500, but our Chemistry department is very active with a lot of students.   For CY 2017, our cost per use was just under $18, and we’re on track to set an all-time high for downloads in  2018.  We looked at the token program, but it didn’t make financial sense for us.

We cancelled our RSC Gold subscription after they wanted to increase the price by > 12% in one year.  Usage was a fraction of what we see with ACS, so it was no hardship.  Our faculty agreed with the decision.

Best,
Jennifer

Jennifer L. van Sickle M.L.S.
Science Librarian and E-Resources Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

860-297-2250 phone