[Eril-l] Vanderbilt University Director of Metadata Services Job Opportunity

Loder, Julie L julie.loder at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Mar 22 16:37:29 PDT 2018

***Please excuse cross-posting.*****

In case you are looking for a new challenge or change in location, consider applying for the Director of Metadata Services position at Vanderbilt University Libraries.

https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/.vu_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=1800321&tz=GMT-05%3A00

Director of Metadata Services - (1800321)
Description

Vanderbilt University is seeking a creative and forward-looking manager to lead and transform the handling of all metadata sources for the Heard Libraries. The successful candidate will provide leadership in managing current cataloging staff and services and the vision to implement evolving services of this user-oriented, collaborative department. We are at a transformative moment as we move into a new business system (Oracle Cloud) and a new ILS (Alma/Ex Libris) and these changes will have a dramatic impact on workflows and staff.  S/he will be a member of the senior leadership of the university library and will have the opportunity to be instrumental in shaping the effective delivery of library resources in our environment. The position reports to the Deputy University Librarian.

The Director of Metadata Services will provide expertise, guidance and leadership in cross-functional teams for the development, implementation and assessment of metadata infrastructure, policies and procedures.  Focusing on management of people and workflows to make resources accessible in a timely and professional manner, the director will help refine and evolve the movement of MARC and non-MARC metadata across Vanderbilt's collections.

The Director of Metadata Services will actively participate in local and national discussions relating to the access, retrieval, description, and management of library resources and apply them to the Vanderbilt Libraries' research and development efforts.

About the Department

The Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries are fundamental to the university's goal of advancing scholarship and learning. We collect, preserve and make accessible a wide variety of resources, we partner with faculty and students to shape research, and we encourage the development of informed scholars and engaged citizens.

Vanderbilt University provides a stimulating work environment, with opportunities to participate in the delivery of innovative library services supported by leading edge technologies. Vanderbilt Libraries are ambitious as we build a great research library for the 21st century, with over 4 million volumes, access to millions of e-resources, and over 900,000 serial titles, including titles available through aggregators. An active program of digital resource delivery and development is grounded in successful collaboration among library and university staff from Digital Scholarship Services, other library departments and university information technology staff.

About Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university's students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the perks of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review<https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/08/01/vanderbilt-has-happiest-students-again-according-to-2017-princeton-review-best-colleges-rankings/> among 382 top colleges and universities for "happiest students" - as well as #2 for "best quality of life" and "great financial aid," #5 for "best run colleges" and "beautiful campus," and #6 for both being in a "college city that students love" and having "great campus/city relations."

Duties, Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes

  *   Serves as direct manager of the Metadata Services Department (currently called Cataloging, Metadata, and Preservation Services, CaMPS), with a staff of 18 FTE.
  *   The department's responsibilities are wide-ranging and include
     *   Adding record sets to the catalog,
     *   Determining metadata policies,
     *   Providing access to a broad range of local digital initiatives and participation in data asset management initiatives.
     *   Using metrics, best practices, innovation, and vision, the position is responsible for improving the discoverability of the library's resources.
  *   The Director also works with embedded departmental catalogers in some of our 9 campus libraries, including Music, Law, Divinity, and Special Collections, and collaborates closely with the acquisitions and e-resources units.
  *   With the move to our new ILS platform we seek to integrate and rationalize the production and management of the various metadata sources existing in different parts of the library system, in order to optimize the accessibility and discoverability of both physical and electronic collections.
  *   The position manages and oversees departmental projects, while also participating in inter-departmental and library-wide committees and work groups established to further various aspects of the mission of Vanderbilt Libraries.

Required Qualifications

ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library and Information Science and at least 3 years of experience as successful manager of a library cataloging and/or metadata unit

  *   Leadership skills and an ability to work collaboratively and reach consensus with diverse constituencies
  *   Proven ability to introduce best practices based on standards, comparative metrics, and peer assessments
  *   Effective communication and interpersonal skills with a strong commitment to customer service and teamwork.
  *   Demonstrated commitment to staff development and continuing education
  *   Ability to recommend and work toward solutions in areas not under direct supervision
  *   Thorough knowledge of principles and standards for cataloging and metadata, including standard codes, machine coding standards and linked data principles. Candidates with experience in an academic library and have system migration experience is preferred.

Julie

Julie Loder
Head, Acquisitions & Eresources
Vanderbilt University