[Eril-l] weeding perpetually purchased ebooks?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Mon Mar 19 11:19:23 PDT 2018

I thought it would be many more years before we had to face this question,
but no, it's here now...

We purchased a 2012 medical-related handbook as an ebook, full perpetual
access rights, not even a hosting fee.

Now there's a 2018 newer edition which we are going to purchase.

The question has come up as to what we do about the old one?

1. do we completely delete the catalogue record or just hide it from the
public (which we can do)? Up to now, our catalogue records have been our
primary method of tracking ownership of individually purchased ebooks, so
deleting it totally would mean either effectively erasing our institutional
memory of owning it, like throwing the print edition away
("de-accessioning" we would call it in the print world), or else setting up
some other mechanism for tracking such books, but not sure why we would
need to

2. if we're prepared to fully "de-accession" it like we would the print
equivalent, how do we get the publisher/platform to also delete it from
their list of our entitlements, so patrons searching directly on their
platform don't accidentally find it?
Has anyone actually tried to do this with a platform yet? Do the vendors
comply?
I'm assuming the vendor does not have a mechanism in their patron "admin"
services to allow us to suppress/hide it - as far as I can see, most don't
have that ability.

Those of you who have already faced this issue - what are you doing
regarding what faces the public and your own recordkeeping?

Thanks!

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island