[Eril-l] link checking best practices

Kat Hart khart at gsu.edu
Fri Jun 15 08:05:47 PDT 2018

We have had the upheaval of both a consolidation with another institution and a statewide migration from Voyager to Alma in the past two years, but before this, I had my unit do a comprehensive access checking project in 2015 - 2016. This did not include aggregators, as that would be over 500K links to check, and time was precious. I limited the project to non-aggregators, making the project just under 9K links.

I exported a spreadsheet of all our active non-aggregator links from our link resolver, divided it equally between me and my staff, and gave everyone a year to get through their part of the list. Staff were required to examine all interfaces for data about the order before checking access: ILS orders (payments and notes), vendor subscription management site orders, ERMS, link resolver, and finally check access on the publisher's site. They posted what access they found into our ERMS and tracked their progress on the spreadsheet. After this work was completed, I evaluated the results. I decided the best course of action was to gather all the problem titles and assign semiannual access checking on these links. That list was divided up equally among the unit, myself included. We only got through the first round of "problem" title checking when I had to put the project on hold and divert everyone to consolidation and then Alma migration.

I did create procedures, and I am happy to share, but they contain institution specific instructions, so I would need to clean them up for public consumption. Let me know if anyone is interested in these. Also, they are Voyager, EBSCOnet, EBSCO ERM Essentials, and SFX centric. I will need to update our procedures for Alma after we clean up all our migrated data and resume the access checking project. Also, I require my staff to access check links when they land on a record for any other purpose as part of routine maintenance. This way, some access checking is done on a regular basis. You never know when you are going to look at any given record, so check the access while you are dealing with the problem/issue that brought you the record.

I hope this is useful information.

Regards,
Kat

Katherine Hart, MLIS
Electronic and Continuing Resources Librarian
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur Street, SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
404-413-2796