[Eril-l] Outside reviewers seeking access to licensed content

Andrea Imre aimre at lib.siu.edu
Thu Jun 14 09:27:43 PDT 2018

Hi Katie,

I just checked with the department that manages our course management system and was told that it is quite frequent that an accrediting team wants temporary access to online courses in the online course management system.

When temporary access to your course management system is given, reviewers can access the course shell the same way students or faculty can. The library would not need to provide Ezproxy access separately. Authentication happens via the course management system and the administrator of your course management system will limit access to specific courses related to the program under review.

You could make the case that these reviewers are affiliates and temporary staff since they are contracted to perform the program reviews (they may not receive compensation but they certainly have agreed to provide a service or work for the university to complete a project).

Video content embedded in course management systems is likely purchased content with a valid license so I would be less concerned about these reviewers actually generating purchases.  I could be wrong, this all depends on how often your faculty updates the links in their courses but presumably an embedded video link was used during the most recent semester by several of the students enrolled in the course.  Also, I expect that these reviewers would not spend a lot of time viewing the Kanopy videos.  They probably focus more on functionality than on content.

Hope this helps.

Andrea

********************************
Andrea Imre