[Eril-l] LibInsights

Wallis, Lisa l-wallis at neiu.edu
Wed Jul 25 09:50:34 PDT 2018

We've spent just over a year getting LibInsight going. It has its
limitations--as all systems do--with COUNTER/usage stats. One of the
biggest issues I've found is that it's difficult to match titles on
multiple platforms to the correct stats for each platform. I am very
excited to see how the automated SUSHI harvesting works. That will be huge.

One of the best things about LibInsight, though, is that we now enter most
of our stats directly into the system instead of having to keep separate
spreadsheets, clean/standardize data, store data in multiple locations. Now
our librarians know to go directly to LibInsight for any stats needs.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Jennifer Bazeley <bazelejw at miamioh.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> We began a subscription to the full LibInsight product last year and I've
> been populating it with usage statistics and other stats over the last six
> months or so. Like all of the other usage products out there, it requires
> some initial time investment to get everything entered and set up. The
> usage reports feature allows you to store your vendor log-in data, cost
> data, and license files alongside the usage for the platform. As someone
> else mentioned, Springshare just added automated SUSHI harvesting, which
> was a much needed feature. Set-up of SUSHI credentials is pretty
> straightforward and the SUSHI server works as well as any of the other
> stats services I've used. The issues that come up are the same as those you
> would see with any of the stats products--errors in entering credentials
> and server URLs, changing credentials/URLs on the vendor's side, and
> vendors who claim to be COUNTER/SUSHI compliant but actually are not.
> Otherwise everything works as advertised.
>
> The data analysis is pretty robust and you can also do cross-tabular data
> analysis, comparing usage stats against whatever other kind of data you've
> uploaded (plus Springshare data from any other modules that you subscribe
> to), which is pretty cool. Reports can be entered manually or through
> upload of csv files, so lots of flexibility in getting reports and stats
> into the system, which is great. For non-usage reports, you have a wide
> range of options in setting up and uploading your data--quite adaptable.
>
> The current challenges I have with LibInsight:
> -currently only supports DBR1, PR1, JR1 and BR1, 2, and 5. I'm very
> curious to see how Springshare will address the changes that will accompany
> COUNTER 5 next year.
> -email notifications that you get post-SUSHI harvest for transactions with
> errors identify your platforms by a LibInsight ID number rather than the
> name of the platform, which adds a few extra steps when troubleshooting the
> problematic platform
>
> Feel free to contact me directly if you have additional or specific
> questions!
>
> Thanks,
> Jennifer Bazeley
>
> Coordinator, Collection Access & Acquisitions
> Miami University Libraries <http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/>
> King Library 312
> Oxford, OH 45056
> p. 513.529.4216 | e. bazelejw at miamioh.edu
>

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:37 AM Eduardo Gil <gile at mail.montclair.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Good morning to you all,
>>
>> Our library currently subscribes to several of the Sprinshare
>> components.  Now looking into getting a trial and pricing for
>> LibInsights, the full version which includes usage statistics for
>> databases, e-journals and e-books.  Are any of you using LibInsight and
>> what do you think the usual pro's and con's. Greatly appreciated.

> [...]

Lisa Wallis, Acting Dean of Libraries

eResources & Systems Librarian / Associate Professor

Ronald Williams Library

Northeastern Illinois University

5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625

Phone: (773) 442-4571

Library Administration: (773) 442-4470

www.neiu.edu

[image: NEIU_150_logo.png] <https://neiu.edu/>