[Eril-l] Adding IP addresses to Project Muse

Esta M Tovstiadi tovstiem at potsdam.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:00:12 PDT 2018

Hello,

Recently I filled out a form on Project Muse's website in order to add a new IP address (we are moving from local to hosted EZProxy). I received the following reply:

"Please note that the IP(s) provided in the request form is/are not registered under your institution's name, and therefore we will need written confirmation from an authorized member of your institution, that the IP(s) you have requested to be enabled is/are for the sole use of the students, faculty and staff of your institution.

Please have the attached letter completed (with the contact information and IP information inserted where indicated) and signed before sending back via email.  If possible, please replace the header information on the attached document with your institution's letterhead.  Please note that we cannot accept this letter without the signature of an authorized member of your institution, nor can we accept any substitutions for this letter.  If you feel that it is necessary to include additional explanations, please do so, but all statements in the letter attached must be included.

Upon receipt of this written confirmation, we will be happy to proceed with enabling access to your IP(s)."

The attached letter simply reiterated that I was authorized to add this IP on behalf of my institution. This seems like an unnecessary hoop to jump through to simply update my institution's IPs. No other publisher or vendor that I contacted required me to do anything at this level, and many of them allowed me to simply add the IP through the platform's administrative module.

I emailed Project Muse and asked them why it was necessary to jump through this hoop in order to add an IP, but I didn't receive a reply.

Has anyone else dealt with this or received an explanation from Project Muse? I am going to fill out the letter, but it seems unnecessary in this day and age, not to mention easily faked (if, for example, they think a letter is going to stop some nefarious behavior).

Thanks,

Esta Tovstiadi
Electronic Resources and Serials Librarian
Sr. Assistant Professor
SUNY Potsdam
315-267-2483
tovstiem at potsdam.edu<mailto:tovstiem at potsdam.edu>