[Eril-l] Research Guides

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:02:09 PST 2018

Maintaining LibGuides is a lot of work, if done well; we have so few
librarians left that we have more or less the minimum needed in our guides.

I've always wondered why we librarians like reinventing the wheel. If you
look at a specific subject, for example, in the Community section you can
find dozens of libraries doing it almost the exact same way, plus or minus
a couple of databases at individual institutions. That's a lot of
professional time going into something that isn't really all that creative
or original. Some have tons of text, and I'm skeptical about how many
patrons - faculty or students - actually read all that text. Some have
course guides, and those are perhaps useful, if actually used (are they
used?). Sure you can copy the open guides, but so many have local detail
that it doesn't save a ton of time. What is there were a master LibGuide
template that ALL libraries could use, and just pick the resources we each
have access to? Not very original, but does it need to be?

Our compromises: Having a template helps so that each librarian isn't
choosing colors, boxes, etc. And a mandatory time period in which the
guides are all checked or updated, with reminders going out to guide owners
to do the update. Cancelling LibGuides would only mean having to create
subject access to online resources some other way; enough patrons want
subject access that we have to have something. Better something simple than
everyone doing web pages.

I do wonder if the guides are worth the time, when there is so little time
available. I guess if you have a plethora of librarians around, why not?

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library
University of Alaska Fairbanks