[Eril-l] Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online business model

Fortier Catherine c.fortier at umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 21 13:14:37 PST 2018

Hello everybody,

First, I want to apologize for my approximate English.

I would like to share and hear your comments about the Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online business model. We acquired the online version in 2008 at a fairly high price (around US $ 10,000). We never bought the updates because we found them too expensive (about US $ 1,110 per year) for the number of entries updated (at least before 2015). If we look carefully at the Excel file available on this page (http://www.sociologyencyclopedia.com/subscriber/uid=1088/?&authstatuscode=202), we notice that the number of updates is uneven from one year to the other :

2008 :25
2009 :14
2010 :1
2011 :3
2012 :11
2013 :21
2014 :43
2015 :383
2016 :252

Since 2008, 753 entries have been updated (about 35% of the encyclopedia).

This year, I have a little more financial resources and I want to buy the updates of 2015 and 2016. Our representative tells us that it is not possible and that we must buy all the updates since 2008 and it is very expensive.

Do you own this resource in your library / institution?
Do you find that it is essential or another encyclopedia is equivalent according to you (we also have the International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences Online)?
Did you buy the updates every year?
What do you think about this model and especially, the frequency of the updates?

Thank you in advance for your always relevant comments.

Catherine Fortier
Bibliothécaire
Anthropologie | Sociologie

Université de Montréal
Bibliothèque des lettres et sciences humaines (BLSH)
Pavillon Samuel-Bronfman

B   3000, rue Jean-Brillant, Bureau 3097, Montréal QC H3T 1N8
P   C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-ville, Montréal QC H3C 3J7
T   514 343-6111, poste 2623
F   514 343-7570
c.fortier at umontreal.ca<mailto:c.fortier at umontreal.ca>
bib.umontreal.ca/ss <www.bib.umontreal.ca/ss>