[Eril-l] changes in Carnegie Classification

Dave Fowler dcfowler at uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 21 09:22:57 PST 2018

My experience is that most vendors charge by FTE,  and only a small handful use Carnegie classifications. With those,  I suppose it is possible.

I was involved with working in the Carnegie Classification process this year, which was really interesting.

The big change was an effort to better represent schools that graduated a lot of professional doctorates (MDs, DOs,  EdDs, etc.), as opposed to PhDs.

To do this. R1 was enlarged slightly, and R2 was enlarged a lot. R2 gained all the former R3s that graduated at least 20 research doctorates, and that had a research spend of at least $5 million.

The remaining R3s were combined with masters schools that graduated at least 20 professional practice doctorates in at least two fields, so that ended up "promoting" a bunch of schools that previously did not qualify in the traditional doctoral categories, such as UNC Wilmington,  Creighton, Quinnipiac, etc.

The new classifications came out on Monday, and will be in a review phase through January, while minor corrections are made.

Dave Fowler
University of Oregon