[Eril-l] alternative to WestLaw or Lexis?

Benjamin Jahre jahreb at lafayette.edu
Fri Dec 7 08:04:27 PST 2018

Hi all,

We picked up HeinOnline in spring 2017 in the hopes of canceling Nexis Uni, which we had been unhappy with for quite some time. However, a faculty member in Gov/Law asked us to keep Nexis, stating that it’s still the industry standard for those going into law-related fields.

Then this spring, with the implementation of the GDPR, LN sent us a notice of a change in terms that in essence required us to be responsible for patron data privacy (as opposed to most of our other vendors, who sent us notices of changes to how they would handle data privacy). We couldn’t agree to those terms, and LN refused to negotiate, so we canceled.

To compensate for some faculty research needs, we picked up a few extra Hein components to cover early case law and historical state statutes. As an aside, we had been using Nexis for current int’l news coverage, so we also subscribed to ProQuest’s Global NewsStream. Even with these additions, we’re still paying less than what we were paying for Nexis Uni.

One important note about FastCase, mentioned previously, is that for state court decisions, they cover 1950-present for most states, with a few exceptions (some earlier, some later): https://www.fastcase.com/coverage/ <https://www.fastcase.com/coverage/> . We’ve been told by Hein reps that FastCase is working actively with state bar associations to expand coverage on this front.

We’ve been very happy relying on Hein so far. It’s cheaper than LN, much more user-friendly, and I’ll echo Iris’s note about their customer service — from sales rep to tech support, they’ve all been easy to work with. Happy to talk in more detail off-list if you’d like.

Be well,
Ben
----
Ben Jahre