[Eril-l] Netflix content

Peter McCracken phm64 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 13 07:24:10 PDT 2018

I don’t believe I’ve seen a reply to this message yet. I hope the following is (minimally) useful.

At https://help.netflix.com/en/node/57695, Netflix posts its educational streaming policy, which basically allows one to show some original Netflix documentaries for educational use, as long as no admission fee is charged. This policy only applies to titles that show the Permission statement on the information page about the film. And only a few titles here actually show the statement. I found one that does, Icarus (https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/157830), just to determine that at least one does.

So, it would appear that Hannah Gadsby: Nanette (https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/251451) doesn’t have the statement. Some documentaries, such as Wild Wild Country (https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/203847), also do not have the statement.

But, the presence of the educational streaming policy for some other films (who knows how many; I don’t see a way of showing only documentaries that have that permissions statement), might be useful for some seeking to screen certain documentaries from Netflix.

Peter McC

Peter McCracken
Electronic Resources Librarian
Cornell University