[Eril-l] Newsbank Access World News block from excessive usage - anybody else running into this?

Diane Westerfield dwesterfield at coloradocollege.edu
Thu Aug 2 12:21:59 PDT 2018

Hi,

We're having a problem with Access World News from Newsbank. Users have triggered an IP block on our library server IP address twice this summer and Newsbank isn't clearing this second occurence. We're pretty sure the usage is from legitimate patrons doing legitimate research. Although in one case it may be getting into "data mining" territory.

The block is solely on our proxy server IP address. So it blocks our default proxied links and keeps (authorized) off-campus users from getting in. However, a direct link from a campus IP can still get in. Since our e-resource links default to proxy and we have many authorized users off-campus during the summer, this block punishes a number of people who have nothing to do with the student conducting heavy-duty research.

Anybody else run into this? I've not experienced this kind of issue before.

Thanks,

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu<mailto:diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu>
(719) 389-6661