[Eril-l] Considering an all-campus Kanopy PDA subscription

Cynthia Harper charper at vts.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:22:07 PDT 2017

So trying to figure out how quickly our 250 students and faculty  would run thru our budget for a Kanopy PDA program, I calculated this: (I've excised the actual price because I'm not sure if that is  quoted differently per institution?).

2/month limit, thru budget in 3 months

250

people

250

people

5

films per month

2

films per month

12

months

3

months

6.5%

chance this is a film already seen by 3 other (visits or users?)

6.5%

chance this is a film already seen by 3 other (visits or users?)

975

Triggers

97.5

triggers

$          .00

per trigger

$          .00

per trigger

$  .00

annual cost

$    0

annual cost

So thinking about the 80% rule distributed across a group of films

This probably overestimates the trigger%:

1 use

2 uses

3 uses

triggered at 4

5 or more uses

sum

# with this many uses

                      80

                                                      40

              20

                      10

                                               5

           155

6.5%

I'd be glad to hear from others who have made/are making this decision and what your experience or calculations show.

Cindy Harper
E-services and periodicals librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary
Bishop Payne Library, VTS Box 159