[Eril-l] ALCTS Webinar: Just catalog it! Providing Access to 3-D Materials

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:02:33 PDT 2017

*Cross posted to multiple lists*

ALCTS webinar: Just catalog it!  Providing Access to 3-D Materials

Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2017

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11 AM Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1 PM Central, and 2 PM Eastern time.

games and three-dimensional materials, we must catalog them. We will
explain how to catalog these materials using current cataloging standards.
We also will discuss how to increase the discoverability of these catalog
records by applying facets and genre terms. Facets allow the user to narrow
searches by choosing clearly defined subcategories. Genre terms allow the
user to search for particular types of resources. We will share our
experiences in applying current cataloging standards, facets, and genre
terms to meet user needs when cataloging a large collection of tabletop
games.

Learning outcomes:

• Understand why games and other three-dimensional materials must be
cataloged if they are to be accessible to users

• Understand how discovery layers in the catalog will enhance user access
to games and other three-dimensional materials

• Understand how genre terms will enhance discovery of games and other
three-dimensional materials

Who should attend?

Staff from academic, public, school libraries with collections of
three-dimensional materials

Presenters:

Diane Robson is Media Librarian at the University of North Texas. She
manages collection development, cataloging, and outreach related to games
and gaming for the UNT Libraries. Diane plans and hosts events that bring
students and Denton residents together to play, learn, and create games.

Kevin Yanowski is the Catalog Management Librarian at the University of
North Texas Libraries. He is interested in research on cataloging unique
collections, patron-catalog interaction, and accessibility in electronic
resources.

Catherine Sassen is Principal Catalog Librarian at the University of North
Texas Libraries. She has published and presented on cataloging, indexing,
assessment, and career development.

*****************

Registration Fees:  ALCTS Member $43 ; Non-member $59 ; Group rate $129

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to
the following website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/111517

ALCTS webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording
shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org. For all other
questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Megan Dougherty,
Program Officer, ALCTS Continuing Education at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5038 or
alctsce at ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.